A first-hand account of the fallout from one drunken summer night in July 2005.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Stabbed in the back

Okay, by now you know that this past summer, I bought a house. My lawyer advised me to get a Will, which sounds like an odd thing for a 22 year old to have, but I have shit now, and apparently if I die, people need to know who gets this shit. So when I wrote the Will up, I bought a safe to keep it in, along with some other papers, valuables, etc. My lawyer also said to tell one other person the combination so when something did happen to me, there would be a "secondary access to my documentation". Good times. So, of all people, I told Brad the combination. There is no one else in the World that I would trust with anything like that. I also told him that he was free to look in the safe any time he wanted, as long as it was him and only him who was looking. He said to me that he would never look, until the time came. Brad has never lied to me before. Brad lied to me that day. And he betrayed me. When I came home last weekend after my trip, I discovered that someone had looked in the safe. Things had been moved around. Naturally, I knew it was Brad, which was no big deal. But last night, Brad and another friend, Drew, were at my house, we were having a few beers, and suddenly I realize Brad is no longer in the room. I look down the hall and see my bedroom light on. Then I hear the safe door close. So I went down to the bedroom to see what he was doing. As soon as I walked in the door, I see a note, a very private note that I had written; chickened out on delivering-so-I-put-it-in-the-safe, laying on my bed, with Brad staring at me. I shut the door, and grabbed the note. Tension filled the room. The conversation went something like this:

Brad: "You wanna tell me what the fuck that is?"

Me: "Sure. That's a very private letter to someone other than you that you had no business reading."

Brad: "I thought I had permission to go in the safe"

Me: "You do. You have permission to go in the safe, not to go through all my things and read letters that aren't addressed to you. That's a severe invasion of my privacy. When did you find this?"

Brad: "Friday afternoon when we were all here"

Me: "Who was all here?"

Brad: "Me, Drew, and Stephen."

--> Okay, I realize the conversation is a little long to type out, so I'll paraphrase the rest. Not only did Brad go through personal things of mine, he let Drew and Stephen stay in the room while he did it. They read everything too. Keep in mind that Stephen is my roommate so this makes everything sort of awkward between us. Drew, well, Drew is expendable. He lies to me constantly, he's sneaky, and overall, I have no idea why I'm even friends with him. But Stephen and Brad, it hurt so bad to realize that not one, but two of my best friends had stabbed me in the back like this. Brad and I sat in my bedroom for two hours. He was so squirmy and he was trying everything to get me to shut up. Kept asking if I wanted a drink, a cigarette, tried to kiss me at one point, suggested that we get in the car and go to my cabin for the night (which only means one thing, but I was so mad at him I couldn't even think about sex) and I just kept telling him to shut up, that I was talking and he was listening. Right in the middle of everything, his bitch of a girlfriend calls. He grabs the phone before I do, but not before I saw who it was. He talked to her for about five minutes when I got a really good idea. He had said to her "I'm sitting in the bedroom - we're talking" and she must have made some gay joke, because Brad said "Fuck you". So I grabbed the phone and said "Sorry dear, Brad's very busy at the moment" and clicked the phone off. At that moment, I realized I didn't know how Brad would react to that. He didn't really. Just kinda looked at me and went "That'll shut her up" I couldn't help it. I had to laugh. Between that and the look on his face, it was just too funny. And you know how it is when you laugh during a fight, all the tension disappears, and no matter how mad I was, I couldn't fight with him anymore. So Drew left sometime while we were in the bedroom, and I drove Brad home. On the way there, I got the thought that maybe we should go to the cabin. It was only 20 minutes away. I barely hinted at it once, and he didn't bite. So I dropped him off, and drove home. I felt pretty good as I drifted off to sleep. But when I woke up this morning, everything came rushing back. I was, and still am, very angry at Brad. I easily could've gotten over him-just him- reading it. But he showed it to other people. That's crossing the line.

And once again, I'm going to plug a Hollywood production. This is yet another cog in the story of Jack and Ennis from Brokeback Mountain. Seriously, my relationship with Brad runs parallel with this story. In the third quarter of the story, Jack (me) betrays Ennis' (Brad's) trust, resulting in a fight. This keeps getting weirder. The only thing that scares me is the end of the story. I won't spoil it for anyone, so go see the movie when it comes out tomorrow. Man, I'm seriously gonna send the production company a bill for all these plugs I'm giving them...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, yea I've seen some previews for Brokeback - looks good. That's kinda romantic that you and Brad have the same type of deal as the story. Or is it just sex between you two? Like your blog, by the way.

3:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You trusted Brad with the most intimate details of your life, and he broke it. A breach of trust cannot be any worse than this. You need to either end your relationship with him immediately, or accept the fact that he cannot be trusted, at all, and know that you can have nothing but a sexual relationship with him from now on. Sorry.

9:41 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home